Marriage Documentation Required

There are 4 options for getting married in Spain;

  1. Civil Ceremony in Spain (at least one party must live/own a property in Spain)
  2. Civil Ceremony in Gibraltar followed by a blessing in Spain
  3. Catholic Church Ceremony
  4. Civil Ceremony in UK followed by a blessing in Spain


Documents required for Civil Ceremony in Spain

  • Birth certificates (full version)
  • Passports (full 10 year – photocopies as well as originals)
  • Residencias (if you have one)
  • Certificate of Empadronamiento (proof of Spanish address)
  • Divorce Papers with apostille stamp (if applicable)
  • Previous Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
  • Freedom to Marry Letter (apply in person to British Consulate – takes approx 21 days)
  • All documentation issued in UK must be legalised by Foreign & Commonwealth Office (
  • Non UK residents should apply to equivalent in country where issued
  • Documents should be translated into Spanish and presented at relevant Town Hall at least 3 months prior to wedding date


Documents required for Civil Ceremony in Gibraltar

  • Birth certificates
  • Passports
  • Decree Finite (if divorced) plus original marriage certificate
  • Death Certificate (if widowed)
  • If non UK citizen Freedom To Marry Letter from Embassy (in English/Spanish)
  • Original Documents should be presented between 3 months and 24 hours before wedding date
  • Please note with effect from June 2014, it is now necessary for the bride and groom to stay overnight in Gibraltar either the night before the wedding or the night of the wedding. Documentary evidence* must be provided to confirm this or the marriage will not be permitted to take place;
  • *i) hotel bill covering the night before the wedding
  • ii) hotel booking form confirming the night of the ceremony has been paid for
  • iii) statement from a resident of Gibraltar confirming the couple have stayed the night before/will be staying the night of the wedding with confirmation of the address
  • iv) another form of proof acceptable to the registrar


Documents required for Catholic Church Wedding

  • At least one of the couple must be Catholic, with neither party divorced though some parishes require both parties to be Catholic
  • Permission of Parish Priest – all documentation is done through the Priest
  • Documents should be done around 6 months prior to wedding date


Civil Wedding in UK prior to Spanish Blessing

  • Many couples choose this option as it is the most straightforward
  • Blessing can then take place in location of your choice and your guests need not know that the blessing is not a legal ceremony




Jenny and Jeanette
We’d love to help you plan your Marbella wedding. We have sourced a number of fantastic venues, suppliers and caterers so you don’t have to.
CONTACT US TODAY and let’s start planning your special day!
– Jenny & Jeanette x